Pay Per Engagement (also known as: PPA, PPE, CPE) is a product geared towards driving deeper engagement within applications. Commonly, advertisers will pay per install, but after the install, users may sometimes drop off or existing users may just tire of the game and discontinue play. The idea behind Pay Per Engagement is to help advertisers re-invigorate engagement within an app for existing users, and drive deeper engagement for users who dropped off after install.
Pay-Per-Action allows advertisers to incent users to:
- Beat Level 1 of the game
- Complete a tutorial
- Register for the app
- Engage with any special functionality (i.e. Complete a search, read a chapter in a book, etc)
Tapjoy supports two action campaign types:
- Pay Per Install + Action – A campaign that asks new users to install your app and perform an action that you specify, e.g. "Complete the tutorial." The minimum bid is $0.20. The prerequisite should be set to "None" (to make this change, submit a request to email@example.com)
- Tapjoy Reconnect – A campaign that targets your existing userbase to return to your app and perform an action that you specify, e.g. "Spin the daily wheel." The minimum bid is $0.10. The prerequisite should be set to the application you would like the user to return to. Please note that we accept protocol handlers, which sends users directly to your app (to support this, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org). The use of protocol handlers is optional but highly recommended. If a protocol handler is not in place, users will need to open your app manually.
Guidelines to Creating an Action
- You cannot incentivize actions that require payment.
- All actions need to be able to be completed in less than 3 minutes.
- You must have the name of the app in the name of the action.
- Actions will be reviewed by Tapjoy support before they are enabled.
When you create an action, be sure to include the steps necessary to complete the action. Our typical instructions are numbered, and clearly state what steps a user needs to do in order to earn their currency. Also – ensure that the name of the action includes your app’s name, as this is what users will see at first.
Depending on the complexity of an action, we suggest higher bids to achieve a higher completion rate. If you’d like to combine install and engagements together, please contact your Tapjoy representative. Complexity will typically fall into one of 3 buckets (and will vary by amount of time necessary to complete an action):
- Easy – this may be something (0-1 minutes) like "register your e-mail", check in, choose an avatar, etc.
- Medium – this may take a little more time (1-2 minutes) like "register with your name, address, phone, etc", create a book list, complete a tutorial, create a profile
- Hard – this may take much more time (2-3 minutes) like "beat level 6″, add items to your shopping cart, invite 3 friends to join, etc.
As your action gets more difficult, the price per action will increase as our system is an incentive based model such that your bid will directly impact how likely a user will want to complete the action.Please check with email@example.com for an appropriate bid price.
- Create an Action on the "Pay Per Engagement" tab in the Tapjoy Dashboard; Be sure to include the name of the application in the Engagement name. (i.e. Beat Level 3 in TapOut vs. Beat Level 3)
- Reach out to Tapjoy to ensure the Action is suitable
The Tapjoy Connect call must be implemented in addition to the integration steps below. Be sure to first implement the initial steps outlined in the Quickstart guide.
To integrate PPE, a developer will need to complete the following:
- Add the following line of code after the desired action has been completed:
- To get your "EngagementID", you must contact your sales rep, account manager, or firstname.lastname@example.org. ("EngagementID" is no longer available via the dashboard.)
- Test that the SDK is pinging correctly. Developers should contact your sales rep, account manager, or email@example.com for verification.
- Push the app live.